In the pre-publication draft of the interim final rule (IFC), DME suppliers aren’t included in the list of healthcare and suppliers subject to the COVID-19 vaccine requirements! However, for any suppliers that work with hospices and home health agencies, you may still be affected by the vaccine mandate.
Continue to watch for updates to learn more about these changes.
IFC Comment Period is Open
The comment period for the IFC draft is open for 60 days, starting November 5, 2021. Thank you, AAHomecare, for providing this update and seeking confirmation of the exclusion of DME in these regulations.
Organizations Subjected to the CMS Vaccine Regulations
You can read the entire IFC draft regulation regarding the vaccine mandate for Medicare-and Medicaid-certified healthcare facilities staff here. According to the IFC draft (pages 4-6), the below Medicare-and Medicaid-certified providers and suppliers will be expected to comply with the vaccine requirement.
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs) (§ 416.51)
- Hospices (§ 418.60)
- Psychiatric residential treatment facilities (PRTFs) (§ 441.151)
- Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) (§ 460.74)
- Hospitals (acute care hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, hospital swing beds, long term care hospitals, children’s hospitals, transplant centers, cancer hospitals, and rehabilitation hospitals/inpatient rehabilitation facilities) (§ 482.42)
- Long Term Care (LTC) Facilities, including Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) and Nursing Facilities (NFs), generally referred to as nursing homes (§ 483.80)
- Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICFs-IID) (§ 483.430)
- Home Health Agencies (HHAs) (§ 484.70)
- Comprehensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (CORFs) (§§ 485.58 and 485.70)
- Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) (§ 485.640)
- Clinics, rehabilitation agencies, and public health agencies as providers of outpatient physical therapy and speech-language pathology services (§ 485.725)
- Community Mental Health Centers (CMHCs) (§ 485.904)
- Home Infusion Therapy (HIT) suppliers (§ 486.525)
- Rural Health Clinics (RHCs)/Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) (§ 491.8)
- End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Facilities (§ 494.30)
CMS Press Release
You can read the latest Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) press release on this draft here.
DME Might Still be Subject to OSHA Vaccine Requirements
DME providers, suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, and stakeholders with 100+ employees might still be expected to comply with the OSHA emergency temporary standard coverage. You can read detailed information about this coverage here.
Don’t Miss Industry Updates!
At Medbill, we stay current on the latest DME news and regulations that would impact your company so that you can stay informed on the most recent information. Contact our team to learn how we can help you navigate the DME billing industry.