The 2021 calendar year has begun, which means Medicare insurance plans and many other commercial plans start over. To decrease claim denials and ensure maximum reimbursements, durable medical equipment (DME) providers should reconfirm insurance information. Then during order placement, remind patients that their deductible may have started over.
DME billers should confirm patient responsibility with the patient before placing an order.
Reminders for Patients:
- Remind Medicare patients their deductible starts over, and there might be an increase from the previous year.
- Remind all other patients that many commercial plans and deductibles might have started over.
During the DME billing process, reconfirm patient insurance information and conduct an eligibility and benefits check.
Confirm the following during the eligibility and benefits check:
- Is the policy active?
- What is the patient’s deductible/coinsurance/copay?
- Does any of the items need prior authorization (PAR) first?
- Is any specific documentation required before ordering?
Medbill, a trusted and educated DME billing medical billing company, works effortlessly to ensure your claims are billed correctly and paid on time. The Medbill team will reduce rejected and denied claims by searching for claim errors while monitoring cash flow and tracking deposit data.